Ocean County History: The Barnegat Glass Works
The Barnegat Glass Company, built in 1896 operated until 1913. The factory drew in many families who came to Barnegat looking for work. The south Jersey sand was suitable for glass making. The Barnegat Glass Co. was the only glass factory in Ocean County. Others were located further south.
The factory was built on a nearly 3 acre tract of land known as Picket Field between Route 9 (Shore Road) and the Turckerton and NJ Central Railroad tracts of land.
In 1897, Thomas Ludlam of Sea Isle City bought the factory and fifty acres of land west of the railroad tracts.
In 1911, the company went bankrupt and was sold to The Cox and Sons Company of Bridgton. A year later, a group of glass blowers formed a new company, the Co-Operative Glass Company of Barnegat and bought the factory.
In 1913, the factory closed again and in 1914, was foreclosed. The building fell into decay and was all but gone by 1920.
Sources: www.ochistory.org; Pauline Miller – The Barnegat Glass Factory, 1980-08-20.